We align the strengths of our laboratory mission areas and workforce with partners who share our vision to improve our community and our world through education, volunteerism, and civic/cultural support.
UT-Battelle/ORNL is committed to supporting 501(c)3's and educational institutions and programs in East Tennessee. Donations are allocated to initiatives designed to support STEM education, bolster economic development, and assist with civic and cultural programs.
What We Support
UT-Battelle/ORNL supports organizations that align with our core competencies and connect to our employees and business community. The following criteria guide our giving:
- Organizations in Oak Ridge and surrounding counties receive priority, particularly requests leveraged with community efforts or funds.
- We aim for investments that are larger in size and fewer in number, to organizations that provide tangible, lasting benefits to the region.
- Contributions are provided only to recognized 501(c)3 organizations.
What We Don’t Support
- Grants or sponsorships to individuals.
- Fundraising events such as galas and golf tournaments. UT-Battelle/ORNL’s participation is primarily based on whether a staff member serves on the organization’s governing board or a Team UT-Battelle volunteer project is supporting the event.
- Organizations not connected to UT-Battelle/ORNL’s core competencies, which include but are not limited to computing, engineering, and environmental, energy, nuclear, physical and neutron sciences
- Groups with political or religious affiliation.
UT-Battelle/ORNL may require additional information on the requesting organization's budget, board of directors and community service history, and UT-Battelle/ORNL reserves the right to research additional details via Charity Navigator or other online review and vetting resources.
Questions? Please contact the Community Relations team at email@example.com
To Apply for Donations
All requests for financial, in-kind or volunteer support must be submitted online using the form at this link. Proposals should include the following:
- Name of organization requesting funds
- A primary contact for the organization including phone number and e-mail
- Name and description of the project
- Project category (e.g. engineering, STEM, economic development)
- Amount of donation or type of support requested (in-kind, volunteers, mentors) and how the request fits within UT-Battelle/ORNL's overall goals and objectives as outlined above
The form also can be mailed to the following address:
ORNL Office of Communications
P.O. Box 2008
Oak Ridge, TN 37831-6266
Note: ORNL’s communications office must be notified if an organization intends to contact media outlets about a corporate gift or a partnership story. Please e-mail the Communications office to inquire – firstname.lastname@example.org.
UT-Battelle/ORNL believes a vibrant community is essential for every part of our mission and workforce. To that end, we provide opportunities for community groups and schools to learn more about Oak Ridge National Laboratory through internships, educational programs and tours.
- Internships - UT-Battelle/ORNL provides a variety of opportunities for students to have hands-on, real world experience in a wide-range of disciplines.
- Educational Support - Programs are offered in a variety of scientific disciplines for education levels K-12, and laboratory tours are offered to middle and high school students.
- Traveling Science Fair - Mobile exhibits are designed for student learning and highlight ORNL’s five science directorates and the operational support functions that keep the Lab running.
- Public Tours – Tours of Oak Ridge National Laboratory are available.
With our employees and their families in mind, we have developed programs that encourage volunteering, board governance, team building, fundraising, and financial contributions to their preferred nonprofit organizations.
- Board of Director Service – Employees are encouraged to serve on local and national nonprofit board of directors and volunteer for 501(c)3’s.
- Team UT-Battelle – Employees can lend their time to community service projects and participate in fundraising activities that support the nonprofits they care about.
- Matching Gifts – UT-Battelle/ORNL matches employee contributions to 501(c)3’s up to $500 with a $1,000 cap for each organization each year.