Melissa Voss Lapsa
Melissa Voss Lapsa
Group Leader, Building Envelope and Urban Systems Research, and Deputy Director, Urban Dynamics Institute
Melissa Voss Lapsa currently serves as Group Leader for the Building Envelope & Urban Systems Research group at Oak Ridge National Laboratory. Ms. Lapsa has over 20 years experience conducting market research, policy analysis, and institutional and consumer behavior research aimed at deploying cost-effective energy efficient technologies. In addition, Ms. Lapsa is Deputy Director of ORNL’s Urban Dynamics Institute, and leads ORNL's Sustainable Campus Initiative. From 1996-1998, Ms. Lapsa was on assignment from ORNL to the Netherlands Agency for Energy and the Environment (SenterNOVEM).
- ORNL Significant Event Award for contributions to Additively Manufactured Integrated Energy (AMIE) http://web.ornl.gov/sci/eere/amie/ 2016
- Selected for DOE's online Women @ Energy Series, October 2015. http://www.energy.gov/diversity/listings/women-energy
- DOE's Sustainability Performance Office - 2014 Exceptional Service and Sustainability Champion Award
- Department of Energy "Outstanding Mentor Award" 2005
- Brown, Marilyn, Li, Yufei, Massetti, Emanuel, and Lapsa, Melissa Voss. "U.S. Sulfur Dioxide Emission Reductions: Shifting Factors and a Carbon Dioxide Penalty." Electricity Journal, 30(1): January 2017.
- Brown, Marilyn, D'Arcy, Daniel, Lapsa, Melissa, Sharma, Isha, and Li, Yufei. "Solid Waste from the Operation and Decommissioning of Power Plants." ORNL/SPR-2016-774, July 2016.
- Massetti, Emanuele, Brown, Marilyn, Lapsa, Melissa, Sharma, Isha, Bradbury, James, Cunliff, Colin, and Li, Yufei. "Environmental Quality and the U.S. Power Sector: Air Quality, Water Quality, Land Use and Environmental Justice." ORNL/SPR-2016/772, June 2016.
- Keel-Blackmon, Kristy, Curran, Scott, and Lapsa, Melissa. "Summary of OEM Idling Recommendations from Vehicle Owner's Manuals." ORNL/TM-2016/50, June 2016.
- Lapsa, Melissa, and Nichols, Teresa. "ORNL Site Sustainability Plan (SSP)." ORNL/TM-2016/699, ORNL/TM-2015/667, ORNL/TM-2014/641, ORNL/TM-2013/565, ORNL/TM-2012/570, and ORNL/TM-2011/515.
- Lapsa, Melissa, Khowailed, Gannate, and Grubbs, Tyler. "ORNL's Envelope Stakeholder Workshop Proceedings." ORNL/SPR-2015-287, September 2015.
- Lapsa, Melissa, and Khowailed, Gannate. "Recent Progress in the Residential U.S. Heat Pump Market." IEA Heat Pump Center Newsletter, Volume 32, No. 3/2014, Pages 24-36, October 2014.
- Hughes, Patrick, and Lapsa, Melissa. "Implementation Plan for the Building Technologies Research and Integration Center-A National User Facility at Oak Ridge National Laboratory." ORNL/TM-2014/6, June 2014.
- Lapsa, Melissa, and Khowailed, Gannate. "Recent Progress in the Residential U.S. Heat Pump Market." Proceedings of 11th IEA Heat Pump Conference, May 2014.
- Lapsa, Melissa, Cripps, Molly, Blackburn, Julia, Bunton, Amy, Medovich, Valerie, Nichols, Teresa, and Tisinger, Jake. "ORNL's 3rd Annual Southeast Sustainability Summit Proceedings." ORNL/TM-2013/456, December 2013.
- Lapsa, Melissa, and Nichols, Teresa. "ORNL Sustainability Report." ORNL/TM-2014/527, January 2014; and ORNL/TM-2012/65, March 2012.
- Lapsa, Melissa, Durfee, Norm, Maxey, Curt, and Overbey, Randy. "Solar-Assisted Electric Vehicle Charging Stations Interim Report." ORNL/LTR-2011/409, September 2011.
- Lapsa, M.V., Genung, K., Maxey, C., Melear-Hough, G. "Technical Report from the 1st Southeast Solar Summit." ORNL/TM-2007/212, January 2008.
- Brown, M.A., Chandler, J., Lapsa, M.V., and Sovacool, B.K. "Carbon Lock-In: Barriers To Deploying Climate Change Mitigation Technologies." ORNL/TM-2007-124, November 2007.
- Lapsa, M.V., Maxey, L.C., Earl, D.D., Beshears, D.L, Ward, C.D., and Parks, J.E. "Hybrid Solar Lighting Provides Energy Savings and Reduces Waste Heat." Journal of Energy Engineering, Vol. 104, No. 4, July 2007.
- Lapsa, M.V., Beshears, D.L., Maxey, L.C., and Ward, C.D. "Direct Use of Solar Energy for Lighting-Results of the Hybrid Solar Lighting Field Trial Program." American Solar Energy Society's Solar 2007 Conference Proceedings, July 2007.
- Lapsa, M.V., Ashdown, B.G., Palmer, J.A., Sherrod, M.M., Wendt, R.L., and Craddick, W.G. "Market Assessment for 'Healthy Air' HVAC System in California." ORNL/TM-2006/412, November 2006.
- Arent, D. et al (National Renewable Energy Laboratory), Lapsa, M.V. et al (Oak Ridge National Laboratory), Hostick, et al (Pacific Northwest National Laboratory). "Energy Sector Market Analysis." NREL/TP-620-40541, August 2006.
- Lapsa, M.V., Ward, C.D., Beshears, D.L., Maxey, L.C., and Parks, J.E. "Innovative Hybrid Solar Lighting Reduces Waste Heat And Improves Light Quality." Proceedings of The SOLAR 2006 Conference, July 2006.
- Lapsa, M.V., Shelton, R.B., Grubb, K.R. "Protection and Remediation of the Black Sea and the Caspian Sea--through the International Environmental Center (http://pims.ed.ornl.gov)." Proceedings of the US-EU-Baltic Symposium, May 2006.
- Ashdown, B.G., Boudreau, G.D., Lapsa, M.V., Sherrod, M.J., Fields, M., St. John, C., and Wurster, D. "Assessing Consumer Values and the Supply-Chain Market for the Integrated Water Heater/Dehumidifier." ORNL/TM-2004/159, October 2004.
- Ashdown, B.G., Bjornstad, D.J., D'Urso, V., and Lapsa, M.V. "Consumer Behavior: Values, Attributes, and Willingness to Pay - A Selective Bibliography." August 2004.
- Ashdown, B.G., Bjornstad, D.J., Boudreau, G., Lapsa, M.V., Shumpert, B., and Southworth, F. "Assessing Consumer Values and Supply-Chain Relationships for SOlid State Lighting Technologies." ORNL/TM-2004/80, June 2004.
- Ashdown, B.G., Bjornstad, D.J., Boudreau, G., Lapsa, M.V., Schexnayder, S., Shumpert, B., and Southworth, F. "Heat Pump Water Heater Technology: Experiences of Residential Consumers and Utilities." ORNL/TM-2004/81, June 2004.
- Thompson, M.K., Lapsa, M.V., and Shelton, R.B. "Utilizing Information Technology - Black Sea & Caspian Sea Environmental Information Center." Proceedings of the 2004 Interspill Conference on Oil Spill Technology, Trondheim, Norway, June 2004.
- Thompson, M.K., Lapsa, M.V., and Shelton, R.B. "Communications and Data Exchange via the Black Sea and Caspian Sea Environmental Information Center." Proceedings of the 2003 International Oil Spill Conference, APIPublications.
- Ashdown, B.G., Bjornstad, D.J., Lapsa, M.V., and McKeown, R. "Assessing Marketplace Methodologies for Understanding Consumer Values Influencing Product Selection in Building Technologies." ORNL/TM-2002/292, November 2002.
- Thompson, M.K., and Lapsa, M.V. "Communication Across the Black Sea via Internet Technology." Proceedings of the 2001 International Oil Spill Conference, pages 1119-1120, March 2001.
- Gant, K.S., Kline, K.L., Ferguson, T.D., and Lapsa, M.V. "Energy and Environmental Issues in Eastern Europe and Central Asia: An Annotated Guide to Information Resources." ORNL/TM-2000/299, September 2000.
- Voss, M.K. "IEA GREENTIE Attends COP-3 in Kyoto." NOVEM Journal, page 7, Vol. 1, No. 1, February 1998.
- Voss, M.K. "Fast Information on Energy Efficiency at http://www.caddet-ee.org." CADDET Energy Efficiency Newsletter, pages 25-27, No. 4, December 1997.
- Brown, M.A., and Voss, M.K. "Exchanging Energy Technology Information on the Internet." Journal of Technology Transfer, pages 77-83, Vol. 21, Nos. 1-2, Spring-Summer 1996.
- Brown, M.A., Kelley, J.S., and Voss, M.K. "Promoting the International Deployment of Greenhouse Gas Technologies." Inforum Newsletter, DOE Office of Scientific and Technical Information, pages 1-3, Spring 1996.
- Brown, M.A., and Voss, M.K. "Exchanging Energy Technology Information on the Internet." Proceedings of the CADDET Workshop on Energy Efficiency Information Systems, February 26-27, 1996, Trondheim, Norway.
- Voss, M.K. "Energy Efficiency Means Cheap Comfort." Housing in Southern Africa, pages 29-31, November/December 1995.
- Brown, M.A., Kelley, J.S., and Voss, M.K. "Promoting the International Deployment of Greenhouse Gas Technologies." ORNL Review, pages 40-50, v. 28, Nos. 2/3, 1995.
- Broders, M.A., Shaver, J.A., and Voss, M.K. "Compendium of Energy Efficiency and Conservation Measures and Practices Applied to the Food and Beverage Industry in the Asia-Pacific Region." APEC #94-RE-01.1, December 1994.
- Voss, M.K. "Results of the Workshop Survey." Proceedings of the Low-Slope Reroofing Workshop, ORNL/CONF-9405206, pages 231-239, September 1994.
- Christian, J.E., and Voss, M.K. "A Study of the Changes in Foundation Insulation Levels in the United States." ORNL/CON-351, October 1992.